Pregnant? Try These 3 Pregnancy Safe Exercises for All Trimesters
Welcome, pregnant moms! As you embark on the beautiful journey of pregnancy, it’s important to prioritize your fitness and well-being. Staying active throughout your pregnancy offers endless benefits, like increased strength, minimized aches and pains, and improved preparation for childbirth and postpartum recovery. In this blog post, we’ll explore three safe and effective exercises that you can practice at any stage of pregnancy. Remember to always listen to your body and modify exercises (especially in that third trimester!) as needed to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable fitness routine. These three pregnancy-safe exercises are just a small peek into all the moves I teach in the KnockedUp Fitness Membership. Not only will you get a day-by-day workout schedule, but I’ll also walk you through how to safely and comfortably adjust each movement to your comfort level. You can learn more about the membership RIGHT HERE.
Pregnancy Safe Exercises
Exercise 1: Full Body Rotation
During pregnancy, the front of our hip flexors tends to tighten due to postural shifts. The full-body rotation exercise helps create space and relieve pressure in the hips. Here’s how to perform it:
1. Stand with your left leg slightly forward and lift your left heel, lengthening your body upwards.
2. Rotate your torso to the left, allowing your pelvis to follow the movement. Engage your core lightly, starting from the base of your pelvis and under your belly.
3. Add arm movements by reaching your left arm forward and your right arm backward. Feel the stretch and openness through your body.
4. Return to the center and repeat the rotation on the opposite side, lifting your right leg and rotating your torso to the right.
5. Perform the exercise slowly and with control, focusing on maintaining a light core connection and feeling taller with each rotation.
Exercise 2: Squats
Squats are an excellent exercise for building lower body strength and maintaining mobility during pregnancy. They also complement the full-body rotation exercise. Follow these steps to perform squats safely:
1. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart or slightly wider. Maintain a light core connection.
2. Lower your body down into a squat position, ensuring your knees track over your toes and your spine stays upright.
3. Engage your quads, hamstrings, and glutes as you rise back up.
4. To add variation, incorporate squat pulses by finding a comfortable range of motion and performing small, controlled movements up and down.
5. Keep the focus on maintaining a light core connection and engaging the muscles in your legs and pelvic floor.
Exercise 3: Spinal Articulation with an Exercise Ball
Maintaining spinal mobility during pregnancy is essential for preventing back pain. Using an exercise ball, you can perform spinal articulation exercises to keep your spine supple and strong. Here’s how:
1. Kneel on a mat or cushion, ensuring your knees are comfortable and protected.
2. Begin by tucking your chin and slowly rounding your spine, vertebra by vertebra, until your hands are resting on the exercise ball.
3. Press into the ball, opening your chest and maintaining a light connection with your pelvic floor.
4. Activate your mid-back muscles as you slowly articulate your spine back up, focusing on control and maintaining an open chest.
5. Perform the exercise slowly, allowing your spine to move through its full range of motion while engaging your core and supporting your lower back.
See These Pregnancy Safe Moves in Action
If you’re more of a visual learner, you can follow along on the video where I demonstrate each move!
Staying fit during pregnancy is crucial for your overall well-being and preparing your body for the journey ahead. Incorporating safe and effective exercises into your routine can help you feel stronger, minimize discomfort, and support your postpartum recovery. Remember to listen to your body, make modifications as needed, and consult with your healthcare provider before starting any exercise program.
If you’re looking for more personalized guidance and support throughout your pregnancy fitness journey, try out our Knocked-Up Fitness Membership. Our prenatal membership offers group coaching, personalized help, trimester-by-trimester workouts, and answers to your questions, from preparing for pregnancy to postpartum recovery. You can learn more and sign up RIGHT HERE.